- Allot a budget to your annual domain name spending
- If .com is available for your business name, book it without any further delay. A .com is still the most popular domain extension. Along with .com you should book domain with several relevant extensions so that no one else reap the benefits of your hard work.
o You can book domain with other specific domain extensions. For example, if you are serving within a local area, you should book the country specific tld (.uk, .in, .no, etc.).
o Choose extension based on nature of business, for ex. For a Non Government Organization, you can go for .org, or for an educational institute you should and must book a .edu extension of your domain name.
o Only protect those domain name extensions which are relevant. Unnecessary spending is not recommended.
- Keep it sweet and crisp, easy to remember and should reflect what your business is about
- Try to use keywords or location into your domain. Consult a SEO and Online Branding specialist. It will not only help you in getting better search engine rankings but also help your target audience recognize your business more easily.
- Avoid using dashes/hyphens, numbers, abbreviations in your domain name.
- Avoid using words that are difficult to spell for your target audience. Also avoid words where spelling mistakes are common.
- Try to book it for as long as possible (5 years, 10 years). If you are going to stay in business, it’s a good investment and not even on expensive side.
- If you have plan to offer your products or services in different countries with different languages, you can opt for booking domains with several local extensions (.uk, .no, .fr, .au)
- Protect your domain (Read: How to secure your domain name?)